Duluth, GA Attorney Helping Accident Victims Settle Their Claims
Have you been in a car accident and suffered considerable injuries? The medical expenses and repair bills are piling up, and you’ve had to miss work. This can be an incredibly stressful time. You need to focus on getting better, getting back to work, and getting your bills paid. That is a lot to manage on your own. A lawyer can help you understand your options, and can also work with you navigate this process and help to advocate for compensation for any claims that you may have.
The skilled legal team at Brauns Law, PC, can help you get your claim settled and get you back to living your life. Call us at (404) 418-8244 or send us an email via our online contact form for a free consultation.
Why You Should Consider Hiring a Lawyer
We understand that the thought of going to court on top of everything else can be too much. You don’t want to sue anyone; you just want to get back to living your life like it was before the accident. The good news is that many claims can be settled before going to court.
As noted above, managing potential legal claims by yourself can be a monumental task when you’re in pain and dealing with the financial repercussions of your accident. The process of settling the claim can be complicated if you’ve been seriously injured. Are you prepared to deal with insurance companies and bill collectors?
If you were seriously injured and experienced significant suffering, you may want to at least get an initial consultation with a skilled personal injury attorney. You want to be fairly compensated for your injuries and suffering, as well as any lost income or other expenses you may be entitled to. The larger your claim may be, the more likely the insurance company will resist paying the claim to resolve the case. You want to make sure you have an experienced accident settlement attorney that can help you settle your claim fairly and quickly.
Protect Yourself: What You Need to Do Now
In order to protect yourself and ensure that you are fairly compensated for your injuries and suffering, it is important that you carefully document your claim and collect as much information as soon as possible. If you haven’t already, you need to seek medical treatment before you do anything else.
After seeing your doctor, you need to keep copies of any documents, receipts, or other paperwork and keep them somewhere safe. Here are some other steps you need to take to fully document your claim:
- Pictures: take pictures of any property damage, the scene of the accident, and your injuries. The camera on your phone is a great tool, just make sure the pictures depict what they need to show. Also, it’s better to take too many pictures than too few, so take pictures from multiple angles and perspectives.
- Get a copy of the police report. This may require some follow-up with the police department, but make sure you get it.
- Collect and retain copies of all medical records and bills that are related to the accident. Do the same for any invoices for vehicle repairs.
- Track any lost income resulting from the accident.
- Track and itemize any expenses that are the result of the accident, for example, cab fare or public transportation costs while your car is being repaired.
Again, an experienced accident settlement attorney can help you compile these documents and tell you what will be important in settling your case.
What Not to Do After Your Accident
To protect yourself, never do the following:
- Do not give a detailed statement to the insurance company, either verbally or in writing. Definitely, do not give a statement if the insurance company or its lawyer record it.
- Do not write about your accident or injuries on social media or post pictures. If you must file a lawsuit, you may need to provide anything about your accident that you posted on social media to the lawyers in the case and the judge. Things that seem harmless when you post them can jeopardize your case down the road, and can even be embarrassing when viewed out of context. It’s better to stay off social media altogether.
- Do not delay or procrastinate. Understand your rights, and know what your expenses will be. Our memories become cloudy over time, and it’s harder to collect the documents you may need. If you wait too long, you may not only jeopardize your claim, but you may no longer be able to bring a claim at all.
The skilled legal team at Brauns Law, PC, can give you expert advice on how to manage your claim and protect yourself.
Evaluating Your Claim
One of the most difficult parts of this process is deciding what your claim is worth and therefore what you may be entitled to receive as fair compensation. An experienced accident settlement attorney can help you evaluate your claim in order to maximize your recovery and advocate for your fair compensation.
Medical expenses, property damages, lost income, and pain and suffering are all components to making this calculation. Maybe you are self-employed, or maybe your injuries prevent you from taking a new job. Are your injuries permanent or will you make a full recovery? Are you dealing with PTSD? There are many ways that your accident can impact your life, both now and in the future, and it’s important that these factors are considered when evaluating your claim.
Call a Georgia Car Accident Settlement Lawyer Today
If you’ve been injured in a car accident, schedule a free consultation with Brauns Law, PC. Our team of skilled legal professionals can guide you through the process and help you settle your claim fairly and quickly. Call us at (404) 418-8244 or send us an email via our online contact form.