Cycling Accident Attorney In Duluth Georgia
Cycling accidents can result in serious injury and ongoing disability. If your accident occurred due to the fault of another person or entity, you may be able to seek compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and/or pain and suffering through a personal injury claim. Get the legal advice you need about your options to recover your damages. Contact an injury attorney in Duluth Georgia at Brauns Law for help evaluating your case and taking the steps necessary to get compensation you need.
How do I know if someone else is responsible for my accident?
Proving liability is a key element in a successful personal injury case, and if you suffered injuries in a bike crash, you will need to consider some important possibilities. For example, it may be possible that you were at fault due to disobeying traffic laws (bicyclists are treated as motor vehicles) or for an error you made operating your bike.
However, some other factor may have made it impossible for you to avoid crashing, such as a negligent motor vehicle driver who turned right in front of your cycling path.
Some common causes of cycling accidents are below.
- Collision with a motor vehicle: If a car hit you while you were cycling, the driver’s auto insurance policy should cover your damages. You will need to prove the driver was at fault for the accident. If you have a police report from the scene, that can greatly help your claim. We will also help you collect any witness statements, photos of the crash, and medical records related to the incident.
- Collision with vehicle door: Georgia has a “dooring law” which essentially means the operator of the motor vehicle must exercise caution when opening her door, as well as be sure to only keep the door open as long as is necessary. If a driver opened her door in your path, then she may be liable for your damages if you crashed into it or were forced to swerve into traffic to avoid it, leading to an accident.
- Road hazards: Poorly maintained roads or sidewalks cause some bicycle accidents, and you may have been injured due to the negligence of the government entity responsible for making necessary repairs. In these cases, the Brauns Law team will help you gather supporting evidence and identify the liable party. Photos of the scene are helpful in these types of cases.
- Defective/faulty equipment: Sometimes defective cycling equipment can cause accidents. If your bike malfunctioned or broke while you were riding it and you were injured, you may need to seek compensation from the manufacturer. The Brauns Law team will help you gather evidence to support your claim, including photos or expert evaluations of the bike.
How can Brauns Law help me after a bike crash?
Because we understand that the idea of hiring a lawyer and filing a claim can cause additional stress for someone already dealing with an injury, David Brauns and the Brauns Law team offer our legal services with a compassionate and client-centered approach.
When you work with Brauns Law, you will receive an education about the legal process as it applies to your cycling accident and will be well informed about what to expect at each step in the process. Our team will work with you to build a strong, successful case, incorporating the following services.
- Prove liability by showing that the at-fault party owed you a duty of care, breached that duty (e.g., ran a stop sign), and caused your accident and resulting damages (e.g., hit you and broke your arm).
- Address any defenses the defendant may make. E.g., claiming you did not signal you were turning left by lifting your left arm horizontally. (Note: Even if you were partially at fault for the accident, you may still be able to collect compensation, as long as you are less than 50 percent responsible.)
- Help you organize your medical bills and other documentation and make suggestions for what other evidence you might need to support your claim.
- Help you gather evidence (e.g., eyewitness statements, police reports, medical reports, etc.).
What should I do next?
Acting quickly is important when you are seeking compensation for damages related to a cycling accident. Call Brauns Law in Duluth Georgia for an analysis of your case. To set up a no cost, no obligation consultation, contact us at 404-418-8244.