Catastrophic injuries are usually the result of a tragic accident. When you or a loved one is in this unfortunate situation, you deserve an aggressive and compassionate personal injury attorney to help guide you through the claims process.
Catastrophic injuries, by their very nature, are more complex and require more resources than a typical personal injury claim. So you shouldn’t trust your case to just any personal injury lawyer. You need someone you can trust who has proven experience providing results to clients.
What Is a Catastrophic Injury
A catastrophic injury is a major injury which causes life-threatening and life-altering problems. These injuries are more severe than a bruise or even a broken bone and often cause paralysis as a result of a traumatic brain injury. Victims of traumatic brain injuries are 50 times more likely to die from a seizure than someone without a traumatic brain injury.
The most severe catastrophic injuries require a lifetime of medical attention and care. This does not come cheap. It’s imperative that if you or a loved one has suffered a catastrophic injury that you seek immediate legal assistance from a skilled and experienced personal injury lawyer.
Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries are caused by many different factors. These include:
- Car accidents, including motorcycles and commercial trucks
- Premises liability cases
- Construction and workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Sporting events
- Medical malpractice
- Products liability
- Hospital, nursing home, and other assisted living facility injuries
This list is not exhaustive and you or a loved one may have been injured through a different type of accident. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that for the period from 2005 to 2014, there were 28 deaths from high school and college football injuries in the United States. While death doesn’t always result, it’s important to remember that catastrophic injuries can lead to a wrongful death claim. The important thing to remember is that you didn’t cause the accident, so you shouldn’t bear any responsibility for the medical costs associated with your care and recovery.
Five Steps to Take Following a Catastrophic Injury
After a catastrophic injury, it’s important to follow certain steps.
- Call 911. The police will prepare a report of what happened, speaking with you and any witnesses. While the police may not assign fault on their report, this objective document will help show someone else is liable for your injuries.
- Get medical attention. It’s important to be seen by a medical professional as soon as possible after your injury. Having documented evidence of your injuries will help you recover for your medical bills.
- Take pictures. Documenting everything includes taking pictures of the accident scene and your injuries. Doing so will help your personal injury lawyer negotiate on your behalf and recover for your injuries.
- Don’t speak to the insurance company. The insurance company is out to make money. Speaking with them before you speak with a lawyer may give them information that they can use to claim you were at fault for your accident. You deserve to have your medical bills paid so make sure you speak with a trusted personal injury lawyer before you speak with the insurance company.
- Call Brauns Law. Our job is to make sure you make a full and complete recovery without having to pay the medical expenses. You didn’t cause the accident so you should bear no responsibility for the bills associated with your recovery.
Compensation for Your Injuries
When you suffer a catastrophic injury, your medical costs can become extremely high. We work to get you compensation for:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of companionship
- Essential home modification
When your life changes forever, there are costs outside of just the high medical bills. These may include modifications to your home for wheelchair access, for example. Because you didn’t cause the accident, you shouldn’t have to pay for these modifications. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve.
The National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center estimates that living with a spinal cord injury costs at minimum $1 million over the lifetime of the victim. Annual costs range into the six figures. These are not small sums and most people will not be able to afford the care they need. That’s where the skill of a trusted personal injury lawyer can help.
After your accident, an insurance company offering you quick cash will likely contact you. It can be tempting to take this offer when you’re out of work and your medical bills are piling up. But realize that insurance companies only make money when they don’t pay the full value of a claim. The insurance company is preying on your need for quick cash so this offer is a low ball offer. Don’t take it until you speak with a trusted personal injury lawyer. The offer won’t include future medical costs so you could end up paying for your medical bills out of your own pocket. In addition, by taking the initial offer, you may waive your right to bring a claim against the insurance company in the future.
This is a tragic scenario that we’ve seen many times. Don’t let this happen to you. Make sure your rights are protected by using the skilled personal injury team at Brauns Law.
Contact Brauns Law Today if You Suffered a Major, Life-Changing Injury
When you work with us, we can meet with you to evaluate your claim, conduct our own investigation, speak with witnesses, review medical records, negotiate with insurance companies, and stand beside you in court. While it’s true that most personal injury cases settle out of court, we will only settle if it’s right for you. We are fully prepared and capable to take your case all the way to trial if that’s what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve and need to pay your medical bills.
We do all of this at no cost to you to secure our representation. The burdens placed on you by your injuries are large enough, and we don’t want to add to that; we want you to focus on your care and recovery. So, we only get paid if you win. Contact us at Brauns Law online or by calling (404) 418-8244 today. We look forward to working with you.