The days are finally starting to get warmer and longer. Summer is approaching, which means it’s time to open the garage, dust off your bike, and go for a spin. People engage in bike riding for many different reasons. In urban areas, some people prefer riding a bike to work instead of dealing with the frustration of sitting in traffic. If you’ve ever been sitting in a taxi in New York City and seen a bicyclist cruise by, you probably understand the feeling. Others are concerned about reducing the emissions a car produces, while others enjoy the fact that riding a bike allows them to stay fit and spend time outside. Although riding a bike provides a healthy means of transportation for people, there are also risks involved.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately 45,000 bicyclists were injured in traffic accidents in 2015 alone. For this reason, it’s important to remember safety habits for riding on the road. In addition, if you’ve already been hurt, it’s critical to understand that the representation of an attorney can help protect your legal right to recover compensation for your losses.
Dangerous Areas to Watch for When You’re on a Bike
Although it’s always important to be aware of your surroundings, here are a few things that you should always watch out for:
- Distracted drivers – The number of people who text while driving is increasing every year, and these are some of the most dangerous drivers on the road.
- Four-way stop signs – Many times people won’t know who has the right of way, and this can lead to an accident.
- Roundabouts – A car that is going through a roundabout won’t always notice if a bicycle is also in the traffic circle.
- Wind – A windy day can push a bicycle into traffic. Ride with extra caution if you’re out on a windy day.
Steps to Take if You’re in an Accident
If you’re hit while riding your bike, the damage can be catastrophic. There are several steps you should take after some an accident. These include:
- Seek immediate medical attention – Even if you don’t think that you’ve been seriously hurt, some injuries take time to show symptoms. It is always advisable to see a doctor right after the accident. They can perform a medical evaluation and help to monitor your progress.
- Gather information – Make sure that you (or a friend, if you are unable) collect information from every person who was involved in the accident.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney – Dealing with the insurance company, the other driver, and anyone else involved is going to be a challenge while you are working to recover from an injury. A skilled lawyer can help you navigate this difficult time and make sure that you receive any compensation you are due under the law.
If You Were Hurt, Call Brauns Law, PC, to Speak with a Bicycle Injury Lawyer
No one wants to think about the aftermath of a bike injury, but the reality is that many people are hurt while riding their bikes each summer. In the event of an accident, the financial impact can be devastating. If you have been injured in an accident and believe that someone else is to blame, contact the skilled bicycle injury attorneys at Brauns Law, PC. We can review the details of your case and give you an honest assessment your chances of recovering compensation. Call us today at (404) 418-8244 or reach out to us online. We are here and available to help you through this challenging time.